SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SEA (Search Engine Advertising) are two important approaches related to Internet references. Both actions are very different but contain many similarities that can be misleading.
SEO is a technique carried out upstream within the framework of the website. It aims to improve the quality of the content, increasing its comprehension in order to highlight the website as much as possible in the search results.
Unlike its fellow SEA, SEO is completely free. It is a natural referencing tool that must be optimized regularly. Nevertheless, it is not as simple as it seems. It takes several months to measure the actual efficiency of your SEO strategy.
There are three pillars on which SEO is based:
- The technical aspect is certainly the most important one. In other words: everything related to the performance and general functioning of a website, such as the technology used, the server, the languages used, the design of the site, ergonomics, etc. This helps to prepare the ground with a good working basis.
- Content creation is the heart of your website (SEO On page): images, text (targeting the right keywords), videos, PDF, blogs, FAQ pages, homepage. The objective is to create content and challenge Google’s algorithm.
- Popularity is everything (SEO Off-page). It is important to pay attention to these three main categories:
- the development of network links (links that manifest your site on other existing external web pages and on a related topic)
- the creation of a social network community (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram etc.)
- the maximization of your advertising influence with Facebook ads, SEA etc.
SEA is an advertising technique based on the network rules of Google Ads, Bing Ads, etc.
Unlike SEO, SEA is a method that you have to pay for. Each time an Internet user clicks on your ad, you pay. For specific keywords and business sectors, the price can exceed 50 euros per click.
If you choose to go ahead with paid referencing, you are guaranteed that your site will be immediately highlighted and will get a better ranking in search engines.
Its strength is its simplicity. With SEA, not much time has to be spent generating traffic to your site.
In conclusion, to get the most out of an SEO strategy, you must pay attention to the technical part. Once you have done that, you no longer need to modify it. At Solusquare Commerce Cloud, we focus a lot on this point because the CMS must be optimized to the maximum to make your site stand out. We handle the entire basis of this process so that you can make room for your content, both on and off the page.
90% of users only check the first page of results when searching on Google. Among them, only 60% will view the first three results.
Therefore, the biggest threat for a website is to end up at the bottom of the first page, or worse: a few pages later. The risk is to only get a tiny fraction of your potential website traffic. SEO and SEA play a huge part, and it is a priority to understand them.